- About Us
Camberwell Grammar School HR McDonald Building
This project demonstrates successful planning of a private school campus, with the integration of additional built facilities with landscaping and onsite car parking.
Architectus established design principles for this project to accommodate the future direction of the School. Critical issues included existing and proposed pedestrian and vehicular access, spatial quality, the scale of open spaces, and integrated landscape design. The importance of existing buildings and their cultural associations with the School and community were acknowledged. Architectus also identified opportunities within the campus for new facilities including classrooms, an administrative centre and an indoor sports complex.
The new HR (Roy) McDonald Building incorporates a library and informationcentre, art rooms for multimedia and ceramics, and general classrooms.
The building is L-shaped in plan with the library along Mont Albert Road frontage and the classroom wing connecting into the existing Art/ Science building. The new arrangement frames a large liquid amber tree and creates a grassed courtyard that is directly accessible from the new art rooms and classrooms.
The library is planned over two levels looking out through the glazed curtain wall to the South, while the upper level also looks inward toward the courtyard.
The classroom wing is designed around a three storey atrium with a louvered screen to the courtyard for weather protection.
Material selection reinforces the strong collegiate identity providing a backdrop for the School's crest. The project was delivered in association with Bovis Lend Lease as Project Manager.
- Camberwell Grammar School
- Camberwell, Victoria, Australia
- Floor area
- 5000 m²
- Original value
- Mark Wilde
Also in this category
- Arts West, University of Melbourne
- Auckland Grammar School Specialist Block
- Auckland Grammar School Sports Complex - Gymnasium
- Ballarat & Clarendon College Visual Arts Centre
- Balwyn High School Year 9 Explore Centre
- Camberwell Grammar School HR McDonald Building
- Canterbury College Junior School
- Haileybury Brighton Junior School + Girls Middle School
- James Cook University Clinical Practices Building
- Korowa Anglican Girls’ Senior School Redevelopment
- Learning Environments Spatial Lab
- Mandeville Centre, Loreto Toorak
- Mathematics Statistics and Computer Sciences Building
- Netball Court Cover - The University of Auckland
- Pakuranga Children’s Health Camp
- Population Health Complex The University of Auckland
- Saint Kentigern School Jubilee Sports Centre
- St Andrew's College Chapel
- St Cuthbert's College Performing Arts Centre
- St Cuthbert’s College Centennial Centre
- St Michael’s Grammar Allan Pizzey Building
- St Michael’s Grammar School, The Gipson Commons
- St Peter's College Middle School
- St Peter's College Sports Complex
- St Peter's College Technology Building
- St Sebastian's Primary School
- Star of the Sea Performing Arts Centre
- Sustainable Industries Education Centre (SIEC)
- Sydney Nanoscience Hub
- Te Puni Village, Victoria University of Wellington
- Teacher Support Services Centre
- The Tintern Schools Middle Schools, Ringwood
- The University of Auckland Sector 200 Master Plan
- The University of Queensland School of Veterinary Science
- University of Queensland Fitness & Aquatic Centre
- University of the Sunshine Coast Chancellery
- Victoria University of Wellington Campus Hub & Library
- Werrington Park Corporate Centre
- William Macmahon Ball Theatre, Faculty of Arts